We have 5 certified lawyers, two General Counsels and three Legal Counsel, you can contact them via our contact us page.
WHAT WE DO
The Lawyers provide specialist legal advice and assistance to the University on legal issues relating to the operation of the University. We are unable to give advice on personal legal issues.
The Lawyers maintain the professional responsibilities and conduct required of legal practitioners. Our sole client is the University and we act at all times in its best interests.
WHEN TO CONTACT US
Legal Services provide legal services on a wide range of matters. These include:
- Disputes and litigation;
- Employment law and industrial relations matters;
- General advice; and
- Commercial matters such as contracts, intellectual property, leases and licences, funding agreements, procurement agreements.
- Provide high quality legal advice and representation in order to protect and promote the University's best interests
- Provide legal advice on policies and statutes that support the University
- Assist University compliance with advice on statutory and legislative requirements
- Promote legal awareness throughout the University
- Negotiate and prepare contracts and agreements that enable the University to meet its strategic objectives while ensuring that the University's best interests are protected
- Prepare leases and property work
- Provide advice on a wide range of issues (eg. defamation, duty of care, public liability)
- Provide Human Resources and Industrial Relations advice and representation, including Deeds of Settlement
- Provide Intellectual Property advice, including trademarks, registration of business names
- Provide advice in relation to matters involving State and Federal Police Services, search warrants, subpoenas
- Provide advice on the Curtin University Act 1966, University powers and legislation
- Represent and advise on all litigation and disputes involving the University
- Chair the Board of Discipline and Student Discipline Appeal Board hearings
HOW TO INSTRUCT US
All requests for legal assistance must, unless there is an existing arrangement, be directed to the General Counsel/s to maintain legal professional privilege. Please complete the Instruction Form and forward it to Legal Services. Your request will be attended to within 10 business days of receiving full instructions from you.